Sunday, 31 May 2009
I was running a social media workshop last week to help a client create a strategy for getting involved in social media and one of the sessions revolved around describing the difference between the various channels. One of the guys in the workshop came up with an analogy that made me smile [so I'm stealing it].
He compared the five main social networks to types of clothing i.e. if Facebook were a piece of clothing what would it be? This is what we came up with:
1. If MySpace were a piece of clothing it would be a hoodie [we all pretty much agreed on that one]
2. YouTube would be a plain white T shirt, - mainly cos everyone has a white T shirt and it 'goes' with anything [apparently].
3. Bebo would be an overly long stripy polo shirt - a bit skater-y, but reasonably clean cut. maybe Penguin.
4. Facebook would be a casual cotton shirt from Gap, probably beige or washed blue.
5. Twitter would be a reasonably funky T shirt, probably with a Manga character on it, from Uniqlo.
The comparison isn't particularly scientific , but we found it useful.:)
Posted by Robin Wilson at 18:29